Scrubbing out your garage may not be at the top of your resolution list for the new year. However, home improvement should definitely make it on your agenda, because cleaning your garage can save you space, headache, and time. Check out our eight favorite garage cleaning tips for 2018.
2018 Resolutions: Garage Cleaning Tips
- Remove the junk. Our garages become a catch-all for just about anything - including empty boxes, almost-empty products, and project garbage. Take the time to clean up debris to save space, and reduce fire hazards.
- Combine where you can. Do you have multiple containers of the same thing open? If you can combine open packages of the same product, mix then together and save space!
- Toss what you don't need.. Have you heard of the Marie Kondo method, which employs a decluttering tactic of "if it doesn't bring you joy, toss it?" Though many common garage items won't necessarily bring "joy," it's important to get rid of things you never use. There's no sense in letting them take up space.
- Create groups. Make piles for items you want to keep, trash, or donate. Often, you might stumble upon items you can sell, such as old bicycles or tools. Consider a sales forum, like Craigslist.
- Organization is key. Garage storage is premium, but...if it's out of sight, it's out of mind. Consider a DIY project or two by creating a storage hub for tools, gardening equipment, and parts. When you're organized, you can find things easier - and they're less likely to get strewn in your garage.
- Give it a scrub. Though it's been a bit cool lately, giving your garage floors, walls, and windows a good scrubbing will start your 2018 off squeaky clean. A degreasing agent can break up tough or slippery floor stains to reduce hazards.
- Protect your garage. Inspect extry doors, windows, and your garage doors for damage. An annual garage cleanout is a perfect opportunity to create a barrier from the elements.
- Get a professional service. Before moving stuff back into the garage, schedule a service appointment with Overhead Door. When your garage is free of debris, it's easier for us to assess any issues with your door and the parts. You can schedule yours here.