Hellllooo, three day weekend! As you’re reading this, many of you may be packing up to head out of town. However, if you’re staying in town, here are some of Overhead Door’s tips on our favorite Memorial Day party tips.
It’s Not Just A Three-Day Holiday
First and foremost, Overhead Door wants you to remember the reason for this holiday weekend. Until 1971, Memorial Day was traditionally celebrated on May 30th. The federal government adopted the holiday as the last Monday of May as a way to honor and remember the soldiers who had lost their lives fighting for our country.
To start your Memorial Day, we encourage you to honor the men and women who made this day possible. You can do this by attending a celebration at your nearest veterans memorial, going to a parade, or privately remember our troops.
Clean Up And Get Ready To Party
Your garage is actually one of the best places to host a party – assuming it’s clean! Before the big bash on Monday, we recommend following our tips on getting your garage organized. Make sure that it’s free of any stains and chemicals, especially if you plan to serve food out of it.
Though it’s a little late to get started for Memorial Day, we recommend adding these amazing Lifestyle Screens. They can make your next holiday celebration a big success. Lifestyle Screens allow air to circulate through your garage while keeping bad weather, insects, and pets out. Get your estimate today!
Decorations sometimes take up more time than you’d like. Keep your décor simple by using indoor/outdoor twinkle lights, festively colored tablecloths and utensils, and small American flags. If you plan to use your garage as the designated party area, make sure that any surfaces are clean of chemicals. If children will be in attendance, it’s also important to make sure that sharp tools and potentially toxic substances are stored elsewhere.
Food Safety Tips
If you’re planning on going traditional with your food, here are a few quick tips to help you make the most best buffet yet:
- Keep dairy-based (mayo-included) items refrigerated or on-ice. Food-borne illnesses occur frequently when items like potato salad or deviled eggs are left out too long.
- Cook as you go. Though it’s easier to cook everything at once, it’s best to cook what you need. That way, there’s no food sitting out to spoil.
- Make sure meats (particularly chicken) are thoroughly cooked through.
- Use tiki torches, citronella, or fans to keep insects away from picnic areas. However, we encourage you to be cautious about any open flames.
- Keep food in the shade. If you’re enjoying the Memorial Day holiday party in your garage, you’re good to go!
All of us at Overhead Door want to wish you a very happy and safe Memorial Day. If your garage door decides to misbehave over the weekend, we're available to help.