Did you know an experienced burglar can break into your garage in as little as 6 seconds with nothing more than a coat hanger? Additionally, the garage is among the most frequently broken into areas of a home. Find out how you can prevent garage break-ins with our tips!
6 Tips To Prevent Garage Break-Ins:
1. The first (and maybe most obvious) tip to prevent garage break-ins is to not leave your garage door open! This is basically inviting burglars in. No matter how safe you think your neighborhood is, do NOT leave your garage door open. "Safe" neighborhoods are typically the first place criminals look for their next burglary.
2. Consider frosting or covering your garage door windows to keep thieves from looking in. Sometimes, they will first look through the windows of a garage door to see if your car is there, thus indicating them if someone is home.
3. If you're going out of town, padlock the throw latch on your garage door to keep burglars from easily opening it.
4. Do NOT leave the garage door remote in your vehicle (most people are guilty of this)! If a thief breaks into your car, he now has a way into your home.
5. Instead of using a garage door remote that clips to your visor, consider purchasing a keychain remote that you can leave on your keys. That way, you aren't tempted to leave your remote in your car.
6. Put a deadbolt on the door between your house and garage. Most people leave this door unlocked for easy entrance into your home. Unfortunately, this also allows for easy entrance for a burglar breaking in.
Ensure the safety of your home and prevent garage break-ins with those easy tips! Just a few of them can make all the difference. For all your garage door needs, remember Overhead Door, where your safety and satisfaction are our priorities!